The Blues’ boss has received widespread praise for his use of young players including Tammy Abraham and Mason Mount at Stamford Bridge this season
Chelsea are in a period of transition.
The arrival of club legend Frank Lampard coupled with the club’s transfer ban has meant that the Blues have had to turn to young players in order to be successful this season.
Tammy Abraham, Mason Mount, Fikayo Tomori, Reece James, Callum Hudson-Odoi and Christian Pulisic are all aged 20 or younger, and are all expected to play a big part in Lampard’s Chelsea squad during the 2019/20 season.
Three of them players were on the score sheet in the 5-2 win over Wolves on Saturday, with Tomori and Mount adding to Abraham’s hat trick.
Abraham has now scored seven Premier League goals in his first five games, proving that Lampard was right to put his faith in him.
The other youngsters are also proving that Lampard’s faith in them is paying off, and a stat reported by the BBC show that Chelsea fans will be right in being very excited for what the season may hold.
If own goals are not counted, the Blues have become the first team ever in the Premier League to have 11 consecutive league goals scored by players aged 21 or under.
In fact, the only Chelsea goals scored by players older than 21 this season were the two in the 2-2 draw with Liverpool in the UEFA Super Cup as Olivier Giroud and Jorginho were on the score sheet.
Lampard has received praise for the way he has given youth a chance at Chelsea at the beginning of the campaign, and the Blues’ boss will be hoping that his faith will continue to pay dividends, both now and in the future.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)