Working girls, Meghan Trainor and Nicki Minaj, recently dropped a fire collaboration igniting social media. It appears that trainer was able to bring Nicki out of retirement for a feature on her latest album’s premiere single, “Nice To Meet Ya.”
Although fans were confused that Nicki was appearing on new music, they were definitely more grateful. Considering Nicki also teamed up with Latin music star, Karol G, a couple of months ago, many are wondering if this retirement is in fact real. Megan stopped by The Real, promoting the latest project and giving her thoughts on what it was like to work with Nicki.
“I think that was just a fun tweet one day,” Meghan said regarding Nicki’s alleged retirement. “She definitely—thank God—didn’t retire.”
Meghan revealed that it was easy to get the song to Nicki for consideration, as the two have recently become sort of co-workers.
“I wrote this song and we knew, ‘Okay, this is the best one. We gotta run with this as a single,” Meghan said. “And then, my management started managing [Nicki] and I was like, ‘Do you think we could play it for her?’ And then they did and I was like, ‘That’s just a bucket list dream-come-true if she even hears my song. And they said [that] she likes it and she wanted to write a rap to it.”
The “All About That Bass” singer had a hard time containing her excitement when it came to working with Minaj, comparing the experience to be more nerve-racking than the Grammys.
“We actually shot a music video together and I was freaking out—more nervous than being at the Grammys. This was my moment.”
On set, Trainor noted the rapper was ”funny and really chill and hilarious. I made her laugh and I was like, ‘Oh my god!’ I’m funny.’
“But she’s so real. I wanted to say one thing to her and I was like, ‘You’re an amazing songwriter. Everything you do is amazing but I just want to tell you, from a songwriter to a songwriter, you’re amazing.’ And she high-fived me!”
Check out the collaboration on new music video, “Nice To Meet Ya,” below!
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)