Burna Boy on Thursday drew the ire of a large section of music lovers across the country after he declared that he remained Nigeria’s best musician after late Afrobeat legend, Fela Anikulapo Kuti.
The popular artiste in the past year has racked up awards across the continent, from Headies to BET with his latest album, ‘African Giant’ attaining the climax of recognition after it was nominated for Grammys, in the World Music category.
Even though the artiste eventually missed out on the award to popular multiple Beninese Grammy winner Angelique Kidjo, the global level at which Burna Boy’s album was recognised seemed to have given him the impression that he is a level above every other artiste in his country except the late popular Afrobeat legend, Fela Anikulapo.
The self-acclaimed African giant wrote on Twitter: “FACT! I always knew I was and I am THE BEST. Everyone you think is the best KNOWS I’m best since Fela Kuti.”
The claim was perceived by many music fans to be a bold one, with some telling the artiste off that he owed the international recognition he got to like of 2face, D’banj, PSquare, Wizkid, Davido who deserved credit for paving the way for other artistes like himself.
The Ye-crooner seemed in a mood to establish his claim as he provided a swift response to such comments.
“Lol. NOBODY paved shit for me. Everybody dey find them own. I bin out here, if you knew the way they made us look weak by begging and paying the Western world to like us, you will see that no table was set and I’m the one that brought you the respect currently enjoy.”
His colleagues in the industry did not provide a public reaction to his claim with many preferring to let their music continue to do the talking and anybody making any claim they wish, R could gather.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)